Thursday 13 November 2014

Intaglio: Dry Point Printing

There are many types of intaglio printing techniques which is where an image is etched into the surface. The etched area holds the ink, but when the it is printed it is opposite of the relief print.

We created dry point print as unlike metal etching it does not require chemicals. One thing about dry point is that creates the burr effect which is material that is thrown up at the edge of an incised lines and then the ink is held in the grove and in the material that has been thrown up.

Arne Bendik Sjur
Arne Bendik Sjur is a Norwegian artist that depicts People and relationships. His focus for his work often explores struggling relationships, strong emotional expression of anxiety and life.

Equipment and Material
  • Perspex Plate
  • Etching Tool
  • Caligo printing inks
  • Scrim
  • Watercolour Paper
  • Printing Press

Method
  1. I first created a sample of mark making techniques. I used a sheet to help me get an idea of what mark making I could incorporate.
  2. Next after I felt comfortable I used an etching tool I created a portrait where I could vary the etching.
  3. I then used caligo ink and rubbed it over the surface then using scrim I work in a circular motion which ensures the ink is in the groves. Sometimes it is nice to leave excess ink on the surface but in this case I took away all of the excess ink.
  4. Then I layed the etching on to of a piece of damp water colour paper and ran it through the printing press and allowed it to dry.
  5. This is the first one I created using black ink and white paper but the I created other variations using different coloured inks, using two or more ink, different coloured paper,


    This print is just me printing with what was already on the plate.
    Also the image I used is one that I had drawn already I also created a video of me drawing the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzwqadjy0DI
Health and safety
  • Keep area clean and tidy
  • Keep area ventilated
  • Wear protective clothing
  • Use a cutting mat to a void the plate form moving when etching

No comments:

Post a Comment