Thursday 5 March 2015

Clay Tiles

Experimenting With Textures On Clay
Equipment

  • Clay
  • Ruler
  • Rolling Pin
  • Graphite
  • Objects like a comb
  • Transparent Glaze
  • Glaze

Method
  1. I first went out and took some frottage rubbing of different textures. Like walls, floors, doors and grating.
  2. I then rolled out some clay, then cut out 8 tiles, 8 by 8 centimeters each.
  3. I took 4 of the clay tiles outside and then impressed them into the texture, like a tree. I left four of the tiles and impressed man-made objects into the clay like a comb.
  4. They were then bisque fired.
  5. I then applied different glazes and then glazed some of them with a transparent glaze.
Health and safety
  • When using clay beware of the dust as it can cause cancer so be sure to clean up thoroly 

Experimenting With Colours On Clay

Equipment
  • Coloured Slip
  • Newsprint Paper
  • Clay
  • Ruler
  • Rolling Pin
  • Transparent Glaze
Method
  1. I again rolled out 8 tiles that are the same size
  2. I then put coloured slip onto newsprint paper and waited for it to dry.
  3. I put some of the slip onto sugar paper. Then took two of the tiles and laid it on to the slip while wet so that it would transfer onto the tile.
  4. On one of the tiles, I took some netting and placed it on top of the slip to act as a stencil and then added 2 tiles on top and pushed down.
  5. Because the netting was messy I then took another tile and transferred it onto the tile.
  6. the coloured slip I had previously created I pushed 4 tiles.
  7. I then took each tile and glaze them half of them each with a transparent glaze.
    I lost two tiles
The health and safety is the same as above

No comments:

Post a Comment