Thursday 5 March 2015

Diptych

A diptych is a piece made up of two parts. They usually consist of the same mediums and have a theme of colour, shapes and images ect that link them together.

Equipment

  • Cartridge Paper
  • Quink Ink
  • Wax
  • Bleach
  • Cotton Bud
  • Cocktail Stick
  • Fine Liner
  • Clay
  • Rolling Pin
  • Clay knife
  • Coloured Slip
  • Glaze
  • Transparent Glaze
Method
Wax and Bleach
  1. First I took a piece of A4 paper and cut it in half.
  2. I then drew very faintly the image I was using and applied wax to certain areas.
  3. Next I went over with a wash of quink ink.
  4. With watered down bleach I then went over the lines the where still visible from the pencil and then went over some of the detail with a fine liner.
Clay
  1. First I rolled out a piece of clay and using the clay knife then cut a piece of clay that is the came size as half of a A4 piece of paper.
  2. Then using the clay knife I carved out the rest of the image I had used for the other half.
  3. I then made some parts stick out by attaching a piece of clay with slurry (scored both the surface I was going to apply the piece to and on the piece I was applying to the surface. Then put the slurry which is watery clay on the surface and joined the two pieces together.)
  4. I then smoothed down any rough and shape edges with a wet sponge.
  5. Then I added texture with a fork and metal with a hole in it and then applied coloured slip to the window and part of the building.
  6. It was then bisque fired.
  7. I then glazed certain area in different glazes and applied wax and then added a transparent glaze.
  8. It was again fired.

Health and safety
  • When using the clay knife be careful.
  • Do not touch the bleach as it is an irritant.
  • use the bleach in a well-ventilated area.

No comments:

Post a Comment